Microsoft Data Protection 2012 R2 agent could be installed on Windows Server 2016 with a little trick. That could be needed for example, if you want to install Exchange Server 2016 CU4 on Windows Server 2016 and backup this construct with DPM 2012 R2.
First of allyou have to clean Windows Server 2016 from traces the DPM agent. Perhaps in the case of a failed installation
1. Make sure that you have not installed the DPM agent install in the add / remove programs.
2. Verify that the agent service (DpmCPWrapperService, DPMRA) does not exist.
3. Remove if exist the folder c:\program folder files\data protection Manager Microsoft
4. Restart the Windows Server 2016
For the new agent installation do the following;
5. Copy file "C:\Windows\System32\sisbkup.dll" from a Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2 /2008 R2 / 2008, which has an installed DPM 2012 R2 agent.
6. Insert this file on the Windows Server 2016 in the folder "C:\Windows\System32\"
7. Install the agent by DPM 2012R2 management console data protection Manager on the Windows 2016 Server.